Spruce Private Investors was founded by CEO John Bailey in 2001 with a singular mission: To be one of the leading, most respected investment advisors to families, foundations and endowments in the United States as measured by:
- Value added to clients
- Quality and depth of investment thought leadership
- Discretionary advice
Having earned deep experience in investing - first as a sell-side analyst at Oppenheimer & Co. to eventually becoming CEO of family office services for a multi-client family office - John recognized the shortcomings inherent with many family offices and one-stop-shop wealth managers. As generalists, they provide a variety of commoditized services but may not excel in any one, often because their resources are spread too thinly across too many services.
As a result, John created Spruce to focus entirely on investing and asset management.
The power of specialization
As investment specialists – often considered to be their clients’ outsourced Chief Investment Officer - Spruce channels all of its resources into hiring exceptional talent, building powerful and proprietary research, analytics and risk management tools, and scouring the globe for investment opportunities across both traditional and alternative asset classes. And being independent, Spruce can maintain complete objectivity and act solely in the best interests of its clients.
We collaborate with clients on customized solutions that emphasize academically-supported risk management and a global perspective across many asset classes.
- Founded in September, 2001
- John Bailey nominated Institutional Investor’s Private Asset Management 2002 Family Office Executive of the Year
- Launch of Spruce hedge fund portfolios (2005)
- Creation of Modified Volatility for Measuring Tail Risk (2005)
- Crossed $ 1 billion in assets under advisement (2007)
- Launch of Spruce private investment program (2008)
- Creation of Spruce Drawdown Control System (2008)
- Launch of Spruce liquid markets program (2010)